Allan Cup: Real McCoys defeat Caribous in final
Bookmark and Share
Apr 20, 2014  |  Vote 0    0

Allan Cup: Real McCoys defeat Caribous in final

Hamilton Spectator
SEE MOREarticles from this author

Randy Bowe's shot from the right circle found its way through a screen and into the Allan Cup history books Saturday afternoon.

Bowe's shot, with 6:18 left in the first overtime period, gave the Dundas Real McCoys their first Allan Cup hockey victory with a 3-2 win over Newfoundland's Clarenville Caribous.

The McCoys finished the tournament undefeated in four games, while the heartbreaking loss was the first time the Caribous had been beaten all week.

Darryl Smith, in his third year with the Real McCoys, didn't have a point in the tournament until he tipped in two goals during regulation time. Tournament leading scorer Cam Fergus scored twice, both on power plays, for Clarenville.

The teams were firing from everywhere and goalies Mike Mole (Dundas) and Jason Churchill (Clarenville) had to be sharp, especially on second-chance shots. During regulation time alone, the Caribous had 46 shots (53 overall) and Dundas had 33 (41).

Dundas went into the first intermission up 1-0 after Darryl Smith tipped Scott Mifsud's long shot past Churchill late in the first period. Earlier in the frame, Dundas's Jason Ward and Clarenville's Andrew Sweetland each hit the post.

The Real McCoys, who had not allowed a power-play goal in the tournament, comprising 23 previous short-handed situations, finally gave one up when they were two men short early in the second period. On the front end of the 5-on-3 Clarenville advantage, the 'Bous' top line went to work and a three-way passing play across the crease set up Fergus's goal into a gaping net to tie the score at 1-1. His linemates, Andrew Sweetland and Dave Sullivan, drew assists on the play.

Sweetland, though, was given an automatic game misconduct in the second period after incurring a checking-from-behind minor. He'd been among the best players on the ice to that point. The 'Bous also lost talented Chad Earle during the overtime period with their bench claiming he'd been fouled.

Smith tipped in Cam Watson's perfect pass with three minutes to go in the second frame, to stake the hometown team to a 2-1 lead and set up a frenetic third period.

After Churchill had been brilliant in helping the Caribous kill off a penalty, Fergus again scored on the power play to tie the game at 2-2 with less than nine minutes to go. It was Clarenville's fifth power-play goal in four games, tops in the tournament.

Clarenville, the 2011 champions, lost the Allan Cup final to the hometown team last year, too, when Bentley won in Red Deer, Alta.

The Caribous will play host to the Allan Cup next year and, even before leaving for their finalist berth here, had sold nearly 800 ticket packages for the 2015 event. They'll likely be joined in the tournament by a second Newfoundland team, Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts, who will likely move back to triple-A from this year's double-A designation.

Earlier in the day Dundas defenceman Jay McKee, who played 14 years in the National Hockey League, announced on Twitter that Saturday was to be his last game. The entire Real McCoys line of Ward, Nick Smith and Ryan Christie were also playing their final high-competition games of their careers.

The tournament all-star team all came from the finalists: Fraser and Matt Quinn at forward from Clarenville and Ryan Christie up front from Dundas. Clarenville's Luke Gallant and Dundas's Simon Mangos were the all-star defencemen. Mole, terrific all week, was the all-star goalie and tournament MVP.

905-526-3268 | @miltonatthespec

Bookmark and Share

(1) Comment

By Chris | APRIL 21, 2014 03:20 PM
I'm sure Randy Rowe would like to meet this Bowe character. Great game, great tournament, weak reporting.
( Page 1 of 1 )
Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today