The Brantford Fire Department responded to two house fires over the weekend and neither home had working smoke alarms inside.
A Sydenham Street house fire was discovered when a homeowner arrived at the residence, entered the house and could see and smell smoke inside, according to a media release issued by the fire department on Tuesday.
The homeowner called 911 and firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire at the rear of the home. Fire officials estimate the value of damage to the house at $15,000.
A second fire on Ridgewood Drive was discovered by a neighbour. The owner was not home during the fire.
The blaze was contained to a bedroom and garage area, but caused heavy heat and smoke damage, resulting in about $90,000 in damage.
“With both fires occurring in the evening hours, the end result could have been much more devastating had the owners been home sleeping with no working smoke alarms,” Brantford Fire Department fire prevention officer Bob Sproul said.
Brantford firefighters are reminding residents that working smoke alarms are required on every level of a home and to frequently test the devices. Visit www.brantfordfire.ca for information.